Anchorman 2: (and 10 of Ron Burgundy’s best quotes)
Following the long-awaited sequel to Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy finally arriving in cinemas last year, next week will see the Blu-Ray & DVD release of Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues.
This time around the film is set in the 1980s and we find Ron and Veronica in New York, still working the husband-and-wife co-anchor routine, only now worth the addition of their son, Walter. Things start to go wrong when Veronica is promoted to lead anchor, and when Ron is subsequently fired he finds himself back in San Diego working at Sea World to make ends meet.
However, Ron is offered a lifeline when a TV executive offers him a job on the world’s first 24-hour rolling news station. Ron reunites the Channel 4 news team of Brian, Champ and Brick with the aim of taking the new channel, GNN, to the top of the ratings.
When the sequel arrived last year it met with some mixed reviews from critics, but that’s hardly surprising – Anchorman has become one of the best loved and most often quoted movies in recent memory and is, arguably, Will Ferrell’s finest hour, so it was never going to be an easy act to follow. However, despite the current of mild disappointment that ran through many of the reviews, the sequel has performed better than its predecessor at the box office and its unique brand of humour has gone down well with audiences. At its best it does, on occasion, hit the heights of the first film. At it’s worst it’s two more hours of Will Ferrell being Ron Burgundy, and what’s not to like about that?
So, in honour of one of Ferrell’s greatest comedy creations, we’ve collated 10 of our favourite Ron Burgundy quotes from both films. Enjoy…
10. “I’m very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.”
9. “Suicide makes you hungry, I don’t care what anybody says.”
8. (At dinner with a table full of African-American men and women) “I’m breaking down the barriers of race by assimilation, and on that note, which one of you convicts with the longest record can pass me the mashed potatoes?”
7. (To Baxter, his trusty canine companion) “What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole wheel of cheese? How’d you do that? Heck, I’m not even mad. That’s amazing.”
6. “Every morning I get here a half hour early and sexually assault a starfish.”
5. “You realise you are talking to a man who just this morning tried to brush his teeth with a live lobster?”
4. “By the hymen of Olivia Newton-John!”
3. “Oh my God, he’s absolutely magnificent. I bet his poop smells like sandalwood.”
2. (When asked where the name San Diego comes from) “Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means ‘a whale’s vagina.’”
1. “It’s so hot. Milk was a bad choice.”
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues is available in hmv stores from April 28. Pre-order it now from your local hmv