The Genius of Karl Pilkington
Next week sees the DVD release of documentary series The Moaning of Life, Sky One’s second vehicle for Karl Pilkington following the success of An Idiot Abroad. For those who don’t know, Karl is a friend of Stephen Merchant & Ricky Gervais and the unwitting star of their podcast series (later animated for Channel 4 as The Ricky Gervais Show), thanks to his unique views on the topics of discussion. Karl is the archetypal Little Englander and An Idiot Abroad’s premise was simple: Karl gets sent by Ricky and Stephen Merchant to visit the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Most would see this as the trip of a lifetime, but then Karl isn’t most people…
This time around Karl gets to choose where he goes, but as the title suggests, this doesn’t mean he is any happier. Karl has turned 40 and is reassessing his life, as well as those of the people he visits in countries all over the world, where Karl evaluates their cultural idiosyncrasies in his own inimitable way.
For new initiates, Karl can appear so wilfully ignorant that many people still don’t believe he is a real person and not just a creation of Gervais & Merchant’s fertile comedic imaginations, so we’d like to give you a proper introduction. Here are 10 of our favourite quotes and philosophies from the strange mind of Karl Pilkington:
10. "I was walking past a sex shop an' that. One, it was open early, which I never understood. It was about eight o'clock in the morning. Who needs butt plugs then?"
9. "Neil Armstrong, that spaceman, he went to the moon but he ain't been back. It can't have been that good."
8. "If I was Noah, I would have gone, ‘Hang on a minute, I've just seen something that looks a bit like this, let it drown.’”
7. "That's the problem with them fables, they're putting animals together that wouldn't meet. I don't know where a scorpion is knocking around with a frog."
6. "I find that if you just talk, your mouth comes up with stuff."
5. "You won't get anything done by planning."
4. "They keep saying that sea levels are rising an all this. It's nowt to do with the icebergs melting, it's because there's too many fish in it. Get rid of some of the fish and the water will drop. Simple. Basic science."
3. “Dogs have human eyes.”
2. "They've found this spider, in the jungle. Three foot long, it eats chicken. Bit weird, innit? People moan saying that you shouldn't lock animals up and all the rest of it, but to be honest I wish it was locked up.”
1. "You can only talk rubbish if you're aware of knowledge."